Wednesday, January 12, 2011

being attractive.

It didn't take long at all for me to become a bad blogger. I  have a lot of stuff going on in my life, I work forty plus hours a week, take classes and decided to run a full marathon. I will write and post pictures about all of the stuff that has happened in the past few months later. Right now i want to talk about what makes someone attractive.

I'm not sure what made me decide to google attractiveness yesterday, but I did and came across an article that was listing what makes a person considered attractive. The usual were listed: confidence, individuality, and interests. Then a new one popped up

Take care of your skin. Blemishes (especially on your face) can be very distracting. Wear sunblock daily to prevent future wrinkles and sunspots. Wash your face regularly, and apply makeup to accentuate your complexion.

I can't really tell you how much reading this bothered me. I first off do not have perfect skin, never have and am going to assume I never will.  My skin is not terrible but I for sure have breakouts. I of course spend money and try and make my skin the best it can be and get upset when my skin is acting up. I envy girls who have great skin and make way too big of a deal about any little bump on my face.

I've never read an article that actually stated blemishes can be very distracting and should be covered up and worn with makeup. Yes, no one likes having acne, clearly why would you? and for people like myself it is important to minimize the appearance of  blemishes. Yet, some of the most beautiful and attractive girls I know have skin that breaks out. It happens and sometimes it's completely beyond our control.

It breaks my heart to think that someday when i have a little girl, and if her skin breaks out she will feel unattractive. What are we doing putting this crap out on the internet? I'm not going to lie and say that looks don't matter at all but your skin can break out and you can still be gorgeous. You can also have porcelain skin and because of your personality be unattractive.

If someone doesn't find me attractive because of my skin having some zits that's fine with me because I don't want to ever be associated with someone who would think like that.



I would like to hear what makes you feel attractive and what society has made you feel unattractive about.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you Whims. I think our media-over-saturated culture in generally is waaay to obsessed with ridiculous standards of beauty.

    All these make-up, skin-cleansing, etc. products only can survive if they make people (women and young girls especially) feel inadequate. After all, if we were all happy with who we were, would we go out and buy super awesome facial cleanser?

    Society makes me sorta feel unattractive about everything about myself, but when I'm doing stuff I love and being passionate about it, I generally feel pretty attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you. What makes me feel attractive is when I am in my best "runner" shape. You know, what I mean. Since I've had a baby last month I don't feel attractive because I'm not the "skinny" me I know to be. So I guess you couldsay that being "skinny" is something society has made to make me feel unattractive. Crazy how this happen.
    But anyway, I agree with everything you said in your blog.

    ReplyDelete

http://talesoflittlewhims.blogspot.com/